The books housed at the Registry of Deeds in Dublin contain “Memorials” of deeds, leases and marriage agreements and such – not the originals. They can be ordered. SEE: Deeds Registry FAQs
WARNING! My notes were usually hastily scrawled, sometimes when I was dealing with less than stellar health. Errors are a certainty. On one trip I got decked by a severe respiratory virus, but had to keep going or else waste the whole point of my trip. I don’t have any legal or formal historical training and as a consequence it may be I have omitted significant parts of any given memorial
With the foregoing caveat, the reference numbers in the tables that I have created have a reasonable chance of being accurate (no promises made). Using them, you can order photocopies for yourself through the Deeds Registry. In cases where I have already transcribed and footnoted them, there are links to other pages in my web site.
Not everything that is in the deed books shows up in the references. The clerks of the day may have had a pint or three over lunch and become a little less than rigorous. There are errors.
NAME SEARCHES These are the names that I have noted to research. Many are not directly pertinent to my research, but are included as part of the process of elimination & may be helpful to others:
1) ADAIR In 1721 a Sir Robert Adair leased to Wm OLIVER Lease of Land of Dunfean in the Manor of Killhillstown alias Ballymena for 120 years Sir Robert Adair to William Oliver, weaver 1721. PRONI D/929/HA12/F2/1/93 Need to do.
2) ANDERSON-OLIVER Need to do.
3) DOBBIN-OLIVER Need to do.
4) ROBINSON-OLIVER 1800-1820 Need to do.
5) COURTENAY-OLIVER Need to do.
6) BALLANTYNE-OLIVER Need to do.
7) LETTIMER-OLIVER 1783 Need to do.
8) HAMILTON-OLIVER Need to do.
9) HANNA-OLIVER Need to do.
10) SAUNDERSON-OLIVER 1820 Need to do.
11) Most of the BREAKEY entries are courtesy of the work done by Ken BREAKEY of Portadown. I had already covered the date range of 1768-84 in my 2005 trip.
12) BROWNE, Samuel (NOTE: lots of BROWNE @ Terlugan, Co. Tyrone & Aghentean, Co. Tyrone.). So far I have searched:
13) COULTER: So far I have searched:
a) 1708-29; 1730-45;
b) 1746-58; 1758-68;
c) 1768-76; 1777-85;
14) OLIVER: So far I have searched:
k) 1810-12 (done in 2005 - noted problem with missing book 77);
l) 1813-1815 (none there);
15) JACKSON, my search started with the BARONY of Idrone East; Townland of Raheenkyle; County Carlow (alternate spellings: Catherlogh, Catherlow). There are other deeds that were shared with me by Bill and Mary FARRELL both in correspondence and on their excellent JACKSON website. Otherwise, I was looking for the earliest instances of the JACKSON presence in Ireland and therefore searched:
i) 1708-29; Need to search the next batches of years.
ii) 1730-1745 Did selected names. There were lots of Nathanial JACKSONs that I ignored and perhaps should not have.
16) JOHNSTON-JACKSON (Liscalgot, Urker etc) Need to check. I have INDENTURE 9 April 1770
17) OLAUGHLIN: 1794-99;
18) MENARY & MENAGH: (There was MENAGH in Lurgen, but I don’t see a correlation with the name MENARY. I didn’t type up MENAGH notes.) I did not search variant spellings such as “De La Minery” There were no instances of MENARY even though I searched
19) My notes indicate a problem with Names Index 77. Regrettably, I didn’t note what it was. I suspect it was missing when I was looking for it.
20) McCULLAGH 1709-1793
21) PIPPARD 1708-1759 nothing relating to JACKSON (found them in Mountmellick searches)
Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright
© 2006-2009 Sharon Oddie Brown