Descendants of George Bartley
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE1 BARTLEY He married MARGARET ORR. She died 17711.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Of Lossit, County Monaghan. Probate of will taken out 30th December, 1752"
Notes for MARGARET ORR: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 ""She made a will dated 17 February 1771 - They had four sons & Three daughters. Her first husband was Alexander Wilson (who got a lease from Mick & ? from 1 May 1714 for 999 years"
Children of GEORGE BARTLEY and MARGARET ORR are:
i. JOHN2 BARTLEY, d. 1788, Tullycorbet, Co. Monaghan.
Notes for JOHN BARTLEY:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "In Enniskilling Dragoons in the "Seven Years War" in 1758" "Quartermaster" There is a book showing this. The title is not given.
More About JOHN BARTLEY: Burial: Tullycorbet, Co. Monaghan
2. ii. ROBERT BARTLEY.
3. iii. WILLIAM BARTLEY.
4. iv. HUGH BARTLEY, d. 1803.
v. MARY BARTLEY.
vi. LETTICE BARTLEY.
Generation No. 2
2. ROBERT2 BARTLEY (GEORGE1)
Children of ROBERT BARTLEY are:
5. i. ESTHER3 BARTLEY.
6. ii. GEORGE BARTLEY, d. 21 December 1800.
3. WILLIAM2 BARTLEY (GEORGE1) He married UNKNOWN.
Child of WILLIAM BARTLEY and UNKNOWN is:
i. JOHN3 BARTLEY.
4. HUGH2 BARTLEY (GEORGE1) died 1803. He married AGNES WILSON.
Children of HUGH BARTLEY and AGNES WILSON are:
i. ROBERT3 BARTLEY.
Notes for ROBERT BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "1st Robert who was M.D. and went to American War 1782 not heard of since 1798. Lived at Londonderry near Boston, bought a farm with Prize money - had 3 children".
7. ii. JANE BARTLEY.
iii. MARY BARTLEY, m. WM HENDERSON.
8. iv. GEORGE BARTLEY, b. 1777; d. 1839.
Generation No. 3
5. ESTHER3 BARTLEY (ROBERT2, GEORGE1) She married THOMAS REED 21 August 1760.
Notes for ESTHER BARTLEY: PRONI 991/6/1/2 "She inherited Slieveroe. Her father built the house and their descendants are now living there."
More About THOMAS REED and ESTHER BARTLEY:
Marriage: 21 August 1760
Children of ESTHER BARTLEY and THOMAS REED are:
9. i. HAMILTON4 REED, b. 12 April 1766.
ii. JOHN REED, b. 25 January 1762.
iii. IAIN REED, b. 12 February 1764.
iv. LETICE REED, b. 2 July 1768.
v. ANNA REED, b. 10 October 1770.
vi. ROBERT REED, b. 13 April 1773.
vii. GEORGE REED, b. 10 September 1775.
viii. JAMES REED, d. 1777.
Notes for JAMES REED:
Probably died as an infant. There is a brother bearing his name some 8 years later.
ix. HUGH REED, b. 23 September 1782.
x. JAMES REED, b. 11 February 1785.
6. GEORGE3 BARTLEY (ROBERT2, GEORGE1) died 21 December 1800. He married CHRISTINA METGE. She died 18 June 1818 in 31 Blessington St., Dublin.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY: PRONI D991/6/1/2 "Surgeon of Monaghan Infirmary for 50 years" "Made an agreement with Hugh Bartley of Lossitt on 6 January 1800 - giving him right to all timber on the property (This Hugh was his uncle).
More About GEORGE BARTLEY: Burial: Tullycorbet, Co. Monaghan
Notes for CHRISTINA METGE: PRONI D991/6/1/2 "A Widow" with one daughter, Elizabeth m. Walter Tyler"
Children of GEORGE BARTLEY and CHRISTINA METGE are:
10. i. MAJOR-GENERAL SIR ROBERT4 BARTLEY, b. 1789; d. 1843, At sea.
ii. JESSIE BARTLEY, b. 1785; d. 8 December 1876.
Notes for JESSIE BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "died unmarried"
PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH: Jessie Bartley daughter of late George Bartley MD of Monaghan. November 1876, aged 91
11. iii. JOHN PETER METGE BARTLEY.
iv. GEORGE BARTLEY, m. CATHERINE FRERE.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 Major in 50th Regiment
12. v. WILLIAM BARTLEY, d. 1890.
13. vi. CHRISTINA BARTLEY.
7. JANE3 BARTLEY (HUGH2, GEORGE1) She married JOHN COULTER, son of UNNAMED COULTER and MARGARET.
Notes for JOHN COULTER: See will of John MacKee
Children of JANE BARTLEY and JOHN COULTER are:
14. i. REV. JOHN4 COULTER, b. 1796; d. 26 May 1877.
15. ii. GEORGE BARTLEY COULTER, b. 1806; d. 31 December 1855.
iii. ESTHER COULTER.
iv. JANE COULTER, m. SAMUEL GILMORE.
v. MARGARET COULTER.
8. GEORGE3 BARTLEY (HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 1777, and died 1839. He married ALICIA ELEANOR NIXON 1810.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "A merchant in Monaghan"
PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH: May 1839 George Bartley d. age 62. Undersheriff of Monaghan. Merchant and distributor of stamps.
More About GEORGE BARTLEY and ALICIA NIXON: Marriage: 1810
Children of GEORGE BARTLEY and ALICIA NIXON are:
i. HUGH4 BARTLEY, d. 21 February 1850.
16. ii. MARY ANNE JANE BARTLEY, b. 31 October 1815; d. 12 April 1886, Millmount Keady.
Generation No. 4
9. HAMILTON4 REED (ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 12 April 1766. He married MARTHA CARLILE 15 October 1806.
More About HAMILTON REED and MARTHA CARLILE: Marriage: 15 October 1806
Children of HAMILTON REED and MARTHA CARLILE are:
17. i. DR. THOMAS HAMILTON5 REED, b. 14 June 1809.
ii. MARY ANN REED, b. 10 August 1807.
iii. ESTHER REED, b. 4 May 1811; m. WILLIAM RUTHERFORD.
Notes for WILLIAM RUTHERFORD:
SOURCE: email from Peter Campbell, August 22, 2004.
iv. JANE REED, b. 23 August 1812.
v. CATHERINE REED, b. 12 May 1816.
10. MAJOR-GENERAL SIR ROBERT4 BARTLEY (GEORGE3, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 1789, and died 1843 in At sea. He married JESSY DUNBAR BRUGERE. She died 5 November 1857.
Notes for MAJOR-GENERAL SIR ROBERT BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Major General- Sir Robert Bartley K.C.B." "We have many letters from him to my Grandfather George Bartley & his cousin from different places when with his Regiment - was in Dublin July 1818, Settling up after his mother's death in June 1818. We have one of her letters A.E. McKean
Notes for JESSY DUNBAR BRUGERE:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Widow"
Children of ROBERT BARTLEY and JESSY BRUGERE are:
i. GEORGE5 BARTLEY.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Sir Robert's son George was two years older than Walter who exchanged into the 62nd in India - his mother wrote on 3 Jan 1845 that he was then due in Calcutta - in letter of 24 Feb 1844 they were with their Regiments at Portsmouth - & also mentions she is erecting a tablet & marking her will
ii. WALTER BARTLEY, b. 1821; d. 10 February 1846.
Notes for WALTER BARTLEY: BATTLE OF SOBRAON - 10th February 1846
Lieutenant Walter Tyler Bartley - 62nd Foot - killed in action.
Aged 25. Son of Colonel Sir Robert Bartley, KCB. SOURCE: http://redcoat.future.easyspace.com/IM/Aliwal.htm
iii. JESSEY BARTLEY, m. MAJOR R.S.TICKELL.
18. iv. CAROLINE BARTLEY, d. 23 October 1877.
11. JOHN PETER METGE4 BARTLEY (GEORGE3, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) He married (1) JANE COWELL. He married (2) ANNE FISHER.
Notes for JOHN PETER METGE BARTLEY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "MD"
Child of JOHN BARTLEY and JANE COWELL is:
i. JOHN C.5 BARTLEY.
Child of JOHN BARTLEY and ANNE FISHER is:
ii. ALEX F.5 BARTLEY.
12. WILLIAM4 BARTLEY (GEORGE3, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) died 1890. He married LADY PENNEFEATHER.
Child of WILLIAM BARTLEY and LADY PENNEFEATHER is:
i. SUSAN5 BARTLEY, m. UNNAMED GRAY.
Notes for UNNAMED GRAY:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Governor of Prince Edward Island"
13. CHRISTINA4 BARTLEY (GEORGE3, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) She married JOHN BARRY.
Notes for JOHN BARRY: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Of 31 Eccles St., Dublin".
Children of CHRISTINA BARTLEY and JOHN BARRY are:
i. JOYCE FOSTER5 BARRY, d. September 1900.
More About JOYCE FOSTER BARRY:
Burial: Mt Jerome Cemetary, Dublin
ii. CHRISTINA BARRY.
Notes for CHRISTINA BARRY:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "died young"
14. REV. JOHN4 COULTER (JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 17962, and died 26 May 18773. He married ISABELLA GORDON. She was born 1798, and died 26 February 18584.
Notes for REV. JOHN COULTER:
SOURCE: "Full Circle" p. 67
"A young licentiate from Derryvally congregation, John Coulter became minister of Gilnahirk congregation in East Belfast in 1820." "... Presbytery licenced him on 9 July 1818. He studied in Glascow and gained an MA in 1815. Thomas Hamilton described him as 'one of the worthiest ministers of the Secession' (History of the Irish Presbyterian Church). ... John Coulter was one of 3 ministers with strong Ballybay connections who were influential in the movement toward the union of Seceder and Synod of Ulster churches." Following are excerpts from his speeches on the matter.
p. 69 1851 John Coulter was elected moderator of the General Assembly "he had helped bring into being" (History of congregations)
p. 330 "Ordained minister of Gilnahirk, Belfast in 1820. ... In 1842 he was honoured by the award of a DD from America." His appointment as moderator of the General Assembly in 1851 proved controversial 'because of his association with the Tenant League' (Gilnahirk History, The Church on the Stye Brae). "Presumably his Derryvally boyhood and home influences remained strong."
"retired in 1860 but kept on working, preaching, until within a few years of his death.
p. 331 He has a memory as a child in 1798 of he and his mother hiding in a potato field at a distance from their home in fear of the rebels. (Source: The Witness, a story told in recording his death in 1877)
"descended from an old and honoured house in Co. Monaghan".
From his 1839 address to Students: "Though we venerate Scotland, Ireland is dear to us. Scotland was the birthplace of our ancestors and the cradle of our Church; but Ireland is our country, - our home, - 'our own, our native land'; and though we do not cease to love Scotland, yet we love Ireland still more."
SOURCE: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. May 26, 1877 Obit Rev John Coulter D.D. of Gilnahirk (age 81) His father was a table linen merchant in Co. Monaghan "when the linen business was so respectable". He married Miss Bartley of Bartley's Grove. He was born in 1796 - "when a mere infant his mother and he spent several nights in a potato field, and Mrs. Coulter used to tell that her chief fear was lest the crying of the child might draw the attention of the rebels to their place of concealment and expose both to death".
SOURCE: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH 1877, May 26 d. Rev John Coulter, Sr. Minister of Gilnahirk Presbyterian Church, age 81.
SOURCE: The Heart of Downe. Old Banbridge Families from Gravestone Inscriptions, Wills and Biographical Notes Edited by R.S.J. Clarke
SOURCE: Gravestone Inscriptions County Down Volume 20, (Ulster Historical Foundation Publications, Belfast, 1989)
SOURCE: Gilnahirk Presbyterian Graveyard, pg 45: COULTER (Pillar with inscriptions on all 4 sides, in a high-rail enclosure). Sacred to the memory of the Rev. John Coulter D.D. who died on the 26th day of May 1877 in the 81st year of his age. He was for 57 years the faithful and devoted Minister of Gilnahirk Presbyterian Church. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."
Isabella GORDON, wife of Rev. John Coulter D.D., died 26th Febry. 1858 aged 60 years. "The Lord shall come". "The dead in Christ shall rise."
In loving memory of Samuel HASLETT who died at his residence, Vionville, Dundonald, 1st May 1891 aged 62 years. Also his wife Margaret Coulter who died 5th December 1914 aged 79 years.
Eliza Jane Coulter, wife of Wm. WARWICK M.D., died 9th March 1894 aged 59 years. William Warwick M.D. M.R.C.S.E. died 10th July 1902 aged 77 years. John Coulter Warwick L.R.C.P.S. elder son of above Dr. Wm. Warwick died 2nd June 1936 aged 69 years. William Verner Warwick, younger son of above Dr. Wm. Warwick, died 6th August 1946 aged 76 years.
The introductory bit on the cemetery also mentions Rev John Coulter: Gilnahirk Presbyterian Graveyard
This is on Gilnahirk Road running south-east from King's Road, Knock. It is in the parish of Knockbreda and townland of Gilnahirk. The first Minister of the congregation Rev. Francis Pringle, was ordained in 1772 in association with the Antiburgher Synod (one of the Secession groups). The church has a tablet over the front door with the inscription:-"Presbyterian Church erected 1787 , Revd. F. Pringle, Minister. Rebuilt 1845 , Rev. John Coulter D.D. Minister. Renovated and tower built 1910. Rev. D.S. Ker Coulter B.A. Minister".
Notes for ISABELLA GORDON:
SOURCE: Full Circle
p. 330 Isabella Gordon of Parkgate, Co. Antrim and they had two daughters and a son, John who worked as a medical doctor in India and died suddenly of fever aged 32 when on his way home to visit his family. A scholarship in the Medical School of the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast perpetuates his memory (History of Congregations).
Children of JOHN COULTER and ISABELLA GORDON are:
i. JOHN GORDON5 COULTER, b. 1840; d. 5 October 1872, Cachar, India.
Notes for JOHN GORDON COULTER:
POSSIBLE SOURCE: Ros Davies: Dr. John Gordon COULTER Esq. Knockbreda in India, death notice, son of Rev. John Coulter of Gilnahirk 16 Nov 1872 DR (MY NOTE - his mother's last name was GORDON)
DEATH 1872 (?), Oct 5, age 32 at Cachar, India. John Gordon Coulter, only son of Rev Dr. Coulter, Gilnahirk. He had a degree in medicine - lived with many others from County Down in India and had a tea plantation and also practiced medicine. SOURCE: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers.
19. ii. MARGARET COULTER, b. 1835; d. 5 December 1914.
20. iii. ELIZA JANE COULTER, b. 1835; d. 9 March 1894.
15. GEORGE BARTLEY4 COULTER (JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 18065, and died 31 December 1855. He married JANE SMITH.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY COULTER:
SOURCE: “Full Circle”: Of 2nd Castleblayney; 24 Mar 1846: officiating minister at ordination of Rev John Moran, 1st Ballybay.
2 Castleblayney; 28 Sep 1847: officiating minister at ordination of Rev John Gordom Smyth, 1st Ballybay
1889: subscription for repairs to 1st Ballybay church, £1
Born 1806; son of John Coulter; brother of Rev John Coulter; member of Derryvalley congregation;accepted as studuent for ministry on 1 Nov 1826; studied at Old College Belfast, gained General Certificate 1831; licensed by Monaghan Secession Presbytery in 1833; ordained at Frankford 26 Aug 1834, continued Castleblayney classical academy begun by his predecessor, proved effective teacher; 1836 married Jane, daughter of John Smith of Castleblayney; served in Frankford until his death 31 Dec 1855 aged 50 years.
SOURCE: PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Of Castleblayney" NOTE: Working off the charts from PRONI leaves a few threads not quite connected, but getting clearer.
SOURCE: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH: 1855, Dec 31 Age 50 George Bartley Coulter (Rev) Minister of Frankford, 2nd Presbyterian Church, Castleblayney.
Children of GEORGE COULTER and JANE SMITH are:
21. i. JANE5 COULTER, b. July 1843.
ii. JOHN COULTER.
iii. GEORGE BARTLEY COULTER, d. 7 January 1910.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY COULTER: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH: Jan 7, 1910 Mr. George Bartley Coulter of Mayfield, Bangor. (I hope I have this in the right place - not 100% sure. Sharon Oddie Brown)
iv. WILLIAM COULTER.
22. v. MARY COULTER.
vi. JAMES COULTER.
16. MARY ANNE JANE4 BARTLEY (GEORGE3, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 31 October 1815, and died 12 April 1886 in Millmount Keady. She married WILLIAM MCKEAN6 1844, son of ROBERT MCKEAN and ANNE JACKSON. He was born 24 January 1822, and died 21 August 1906 in Millmount Keady.
Notes for MARY ANNE JANE BARTLEY: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers: OBIT: Mary Jane McKean d. 12 April 1886, Millmount Keady. Age 70. Buried, St. Marks, Armagh.. Wife of Wm. McKean, JP and daughter of George Bartley, Esq of Monaghan.
More About MARY ANNE JANE BARTLEY: Burial: St. Marks, Armagh, Co. Armagh
Notes for WILLIAM MCKEAN: PRONI D/991/6/1/9 "Of Millmount"
PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. DEATH: 1906 August 21, d. Wm. McKean at Millmount, Keady.
More About WILLIAM MCKEAN and MARY BARTLEY:
Children of MARY BARTLEY and WILLIAM MCKEAN are:
i. ANNE5 MCKEAN.
23. ii. WILLIAM MCKEAN, b. 1850; d. 9 December 1911, Montano, Malone Park, Belfast.
Generation No. 5
17. DR. THOMAS HAMILTON5 REED (HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 14 June 1809. He married MARY ANNA HODGE. She died 18687.
Notes for DR. THOMAS HAMILTON REED: The middle name "Hamilton" comes from Dean William Orr's version of the family tree.
Melancholy Madness: a coroner's casebook. Michelle McGoff-McCann. "Anne went to the dispensary at Slieveroe to see Dr. Reid and received some salve for the child. Unfortunately, when she went back home and applied it, she could see it was doing little good. She went back the following week, but as she told the coroner, 'Dr. Reid being intoxicated could not attend to the deceased, but said he would visit. He never did.' Young William died a week later on 11 March 1862." p. 174 (I am assuming by the dates, that it would be this Dr. Reid.) The footnotes indicate: Inquest no. 5,655, William Gibson, Cornasoo, Kilmore Parish, March 1862
Notes for MARY ANNA HODGE: Another tree gives: "Marion Hodge of Killygoan"
Children of THOMAS REED and MARY HODGE are:
24. i. DR. ROBERT HAMILTON6 REED, b. 24 October 1847; d. 16 September 1881.
25. ii. SARAH JANE REED, d. 1 November 1920, "Ivetta", Skerries, Co. Dublin.
iii. MARTHA REED.
iv. LETITIA REED.
v. JOHN STEPHENSON REED, b. 1853; d. 8 April 1886, Cachar, India.
Notes for JOHN STEPHENSON REED: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. OBIT John Stephenson Reed (in another obit for him, the name is spelled "Reid") d. April 8, 1886 at Cachar India. Late of Slieveroe, Monaghan, age 33 years (had been at Cachar for some years).
vi. ANNIE REED, d. England.
18. CAROLINE5 BARTLEY (ROBERT4, GEORGE3, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) died 23 October 1877. She married EDMOND PINEROCK DENNISS.
Children of CAROLINE BARTLEY and EDMOND DENNISS are:
i. JESSY HARRUTH6 DENNISS, b. May 1852.
ii. EDMUND R. BARTLEY DENNISS, b. April 1854.
iii. AGUSTUS B WADIN DENNISS, b. March 1858; d. 1910.
iv. GEORGINA LOUISA DENNISS, b. June 1861; m. PERCY KEEN.
19. MARGARET5 COULTER (JOHN4, JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 1835, and died 5 December 1914. She married DR SAMUEL HASLETT. He was born 1829, and died 1 May 1891 in Vionville, Dundonald8.
Children of MARGARET COULTER and SAMUEL HASLETT are:
i. MARGARET6 HASLETT, b. 1 July 1865, Dublin9.
ii. ISABELLA HASLETT9, b. 7 September 1866, Comber, Down, Ireland.
iii. LIZZIE JANE HASLETT9, b. 19 December 1870, Co. Down, Ireland.
iv. MARY HASLETT9, b. 1 July 1877, Ballyhanwood, Co. Down, Ireland.
v. CHARLES HASLETT, b. 14 September 1868, Comber, Co. Down, Ireland9.
20. ELIZA JANE5 COULTER (JOHN4, JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 1835, and died 9 March 1894. She married DR. WILLIAM WARWICK. He was born 1825, and died 10 July 1902.
Children of ELIZA COULTER and WILLIAM WARWICK are:
i. JOHN COULTER6 WARWICK10, b. 14 January 1867, Belfast, Co. Antrim. Ireland11; d. 2 June 1936.
Notes for JOHN COULTER WARWICK: L.R.C.P.S.
NOTE: I have imputed the day of birth since it concurs with the year given in my first source (Heart of Down) and with the given parents of my second source (Wendy Jack email - November 30, 2003)
I am wondering if he is the "Jim" referred to in the letters of John Coulter to Mary (Coulter) Gardiner fretting about his clock.
ii. WILLIAM VERNER WARWICK12, b. 10 March 1870, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Ireland13; d. 6 August 1946.
21. JANE5 COULTER (GEORGE BARTLEY4, JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born July 1843. She married THOMAS MIDDLEMISS. He was born December 1838.
Notes for JANE COULTER:
From Full Circle p. 330 Daughter of Rev George Bartley Coulter & Jane Smith; married Rev Thomas Middlemiss; emigrated to America 1871
Children of JANE COULTER and THOMAS MIDDLEMISS are:
i. UNNAMED6 MIDDLEMISS13, b. 30 April 1867.
Notes for UNNAMED MIDDLEMISS:
It is not possible to say at this time whether this child emigrated to the USA or if he died in Ireland. He was probably dead before 1880 as he does not show up on the census at that time.
ii. JANE MIDDLEMISS13, b. April 1874.
iii. THOMAS MIDDLEMISS13, b. September 1871.
iv. ALICE MIDDLEMISS13, b. July 1877.
26. v. GEORGE MIDDLEMISS, b. June 1883, Michigan.
22. MARY5 COULTER (GEORGE BARTLEY4, JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1) She married WILLIAM GARDINER.
Children of MARY COULTER and WILLIAM GARDINER are:
i. GEORGE BARTLEY COULTER6 GARDINER, b. 8 August 1867, Keady, Armagh, Ireland13.
ii. WILLIAM GARDINER, b. 9 August 1869, Keady, Armagh, Ireland13.
iii. JANE COULTER GARDINER, b. 31 October 1870, Keady, Armagh, Ireland13.
iv. ALICE SARAH GARDINER, b. 7 September 1872.
v. FREDERICK THOMAS GARDINER, b. 31 May 187413.
vi. STANLEY GARDINER.
23. WILLIAM5 MCKEAN (MARY ANNE JANE4 BARTLEY, GEORGE3, HUGH2, GEORGE1) was born 1850, and died 9 December 1911 in Montano, Malone Park, Belfast. He married LYDIA HANNA 3 June 1875 in Elmwood Presbyterian, daughter of JOHN HANNA and MATILDA MCMORRAN. She died 1918.
Notes for WILLIAM MCKEAN: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers: MARRIAGE: 1875 McKean-Hanna. June 3. Elmwood Presbyterian. William McKean son of William McKean Esq., Millmount, Keady to Lydia Hanna, 4th daughter of Rev. John Hanna
DEATH: 1911, Dec 9, d. Wm. McKean at Montano, Malone Park, Belfast.
Notes for LYDIA HANNA: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. BIRTH 1876, son born March 26 to William & Lydia McKean, 8 Milton Terrace, Belfast.
More About WILLIAM MCKEAN and LYDIA HANNA: Marriage: 3 June 1875, Elmwood Presbyterian
Children of WILLIAM MCKEAN and LYDIA HANNA are:
i. GEORGE BARTLEY6 MCKEAN, b. 1876; d. 2 September 1944; m. DOROTHY EMILY FORTESQUE DUNSTAN, 1909.
Notes for GEORGE BARTLEY MCKEAN: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. MARRIAGE: George Bartley McKean, M.B.B.S. (London) F.R.C.S.E. of Ledley, Hertfordshire - son of Wm. McKean, Montano, Malone Park, Belfast (a director of Co. Down Weaving Co. and later of Richardson, Sons & Owden - worked first for Wm. Ewart & Sons*) m. Dorothy Emily Fortesque Dunstan
* This snippet is from other pieces saved by whoever did these pages.
DEATH: George Bartley McKean, d. 1944, Sept 2 age 68 (a doctor).
More About GEORGE MCKEAN and DOROTHY DUNSTAN:
27. ii. JOHN HANNA MCKEAN, d. 6 September 1920, Redlands, Deramore Park, Belfast.
Generation No. 6
24. DR. ROBERT HAMILTON6 REED (THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 24 October 1847, and died 16 September 188114. He married MARGARET JACKSON 26 October 1875 in Derryvalley (see notes)14, daughter of DAVID JACKSON and ELIZABETH OLIVER. She was born 3 April 1853, and died 27 February 1944 in Ireland.
Notes for DR. ROBERT HAMILTON REED: SOURCE: "Full Circle" p. 274 Robert Hamilton Reed was ordained elder in 1879. Also Robert Reed, MD from Slieveroe was amongst the list of contributors.
p. 279 A letter concerning the Manse Committee was addressed to R H Reed, Slieveroe, Dunraymond.
p. 326 Referred to as "Dr. Robert Hamilton Reed of Slieveroe"
SOURCE: Wendy Jack, June 2003: For Maggie's first husband, Robert Hamilton Reed, I have a date of birth of 24 October 1847. This came from the IGI on-line; no source material was available for the entry, so I have no idea how reliable it is. I found a reference to his death at Index to Obituaries of Irish-Born http://tiara.ie/obidxr.htm: SURNAME, First Names: REED, Robert Hamilton Dr
Where from: Slieveroe MOG IRL
Paper: Cork Examiner (COR IRL)
When Published: 1881-9-21
If the birthdate of 24 Oct 1847 is correct, he would only have been 33 when he died, not 34.
September 16, 1881. Dr. Robert Hamilton Reed of Slieveroe. Age 34. Was coronor for the Northern Division of Monaghan and Medical Officer for Kilmore Dispensary District & also had a private practice. He died Friday night after "a tedious illness, the immediate cause of death being inflammation of the lungs". "He was kind and considerate to the poor never permitting personal inconvenience to interfere with what he considered his duty to them. In the dead of night he was as willing to hasten to their relief as at midday, and by frequent exposure in this way, it is to be feared his constitution became impaired and unable to withstand an attack which, when stronger, he could readily have shaken off". NOTE: Lord Rossmore and Colonel Lloyd came to his funeral & 70 members of the Masonic Order (he was Worshipful Master of Masonic Lodge #351 in Monaghan). SOURCE: PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers.
A family Bible (probably initially Mary "Mollie" McCullagh's) in the possession of Gika Jackson shows that he was married to Margaret Jackson at Derryvalley (by special licence) by Rev. Wm. Reid.
Notes for MARGARET JACKSON:
In a 1915 letter from Bessie Brown [née Jackson] to her son, Thomas Brown, an Aunt Margaret is mentioned and is possibly this Margaret. Slieveroe is mentioned. Is this where she got married? Or where she lived?
From "Full Circle"
p. 325 "The war memorial and other Cahans tablets ... are now in First Ballybay." "In loving memory of Margaret McCullagh who died 27th February 1944. Erected by her children."
p. 326 "The McCullagh memorial was under the front window on the wall to the graveyard side. When she died in 1944, Mrs. Margaret McCullagh of Slieveroe had included in her will a clause expressing her wish that her son give [pounds] 5 yearly to Cahans in her memory 'where she had so long worshipped'. ...William Armour dedicated the memorial to one who had been 'for many years a staunch supporter of the congregation'[Presbyterian Herald, November 1950].
Family Bible held by Gika Jackson shows that she was married to Andrew Bradford McCullagh by Rev. David Jamieson.
Money left to her by her aunt Mary Jane Oliver.
More About ROBERT REED and MARGARET JACKSON:
Marriage: 26 October 1875, Derryvalley (see notes)14
Children of ROBERT REED and MARGARET JACKSON are:
28. i. EVA OLIVER7 REED, b. 19 November 1876; d. September 1968.
ii. MAUD ELIZABETH REED, b. 19 May 187815; d. Abt. 195816; m. ALLAN E. SKUCE, Abt. 190216; b. 15 June17; d. 1941.
Notes for MAUD ELIZABETH REED:
The fmily Bible in the possession of Gika Jackson gives a birth date of May 18, 1878.
More About ALLAN SKUCE and MAUD REED:
Marriage: Abt. 190218
iii. MARGARET HAMILTON REED, b. 1880; d. 1892.
Notes for MARGARET HAMILTON REED: NOTE: Check the dates in the family Bible again - the birth in there (Feb 21, 1883) is too long after the death of her father - so I haven't used it.
iv. THOMAS JACKSON REED, b. 25 May 1881; d. 21 April 1956.
Notes for THOMAS JACKSON REED: SOURCE "Full Circle"
p. 321 "A pleasant function took place at the home of Mr. T J Reed on Thursday evening, 6th July (1950?) when a deputation representative of Cahans Congregation waited upon Mr. Reed and made him the recipient of a small presentation as a token of their esteem on the occasion of his retirement from the congregational secretaryship - a position he has held, with great acceptance, for over 30 years (Monaghan Presbyterian, August 1950) ... T J Reed asked permission to put a plate up on the wall above the Reed pew in memory of his mother, Margaret Jackson Reed McCullagh 'who while health and strength permitted attended the church so faithfully and well for upwards of seventy years'. This was granted, and the McCullagh tablet put in place. It has been moved to First Ballybay.
"Drs Thomas Reed and his son, Robert Hamilton Reed served the congregation and the community for many years and the dispensary at Slieveroe continued until the 1950s.
p. 325 Plaque: In loving memory of Margaret McCullagh who died 27th February 1944 erected by her children.
"When she died in 1944, Mrs. Margaret McCullagh of Slieveroe had included in her will a clause expressing her wish that her son give 5 pounds yearly to Cahans in her memory 'where she had so long worshipped'."
SOURCE: "At the Ford of the Birches"
p.194 gives the spelling "Reid" "In memory of Dr. Thomas Reid, Slieveroe, died in 1871; his wife Mary Anne died 1868; their son Dr. R. Reid died 1881; his daughter Marjorie died 1892, his wife Margaret, later wife of Andrew McCullagh, died 1944 and her son Thomas Jackson Reid, died 21st April 1956." The dates of tally for the people who I have until now been calling "Reed".
SOURCE: Family Bible at Gika Jacksons - gives a birth date of May 25, 1880 - one year off what I had before.
25. SARAH JANE6 REED (THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1)19 died 1 November 1920 in "Ivetta", Skerries, Co. Dublin20,21. She married ROBERT WRIGHT22 17 November 1863, son of ROBERT WRIGHT and MARGARET SWAN. He was born 182422, and died 9 December 1883 in Barton End, Alton22,23.
Notes for ROBERT WRIGHT: See: WRIGHT family tree for more detail.
More About ROBERT WRIGHT and SARAH REED: Marriage: 17 November 1863
Children of SARAH REED and ROBERT WRIGHT are:
29. i. ROBERT THOMAS7 WRIGHT, b. 25 November 1864, Monaghan, Monaghan, Ireland; d. 24 June 1937, Barton End, Alton, Hants, UK.
30. ii. MARY ANNE WRIGHT, b. 18 August 1866, Monaghan, Monaghan, Ireland.
iii. MARGARET LOUISA WRIGHT24, b. 28 December 1868, Monaghan, County Monaghan, Ireland; d. 24 February 1945, Freeduff, Crossmaglen25; m. (1) JOHN HATTON PORTER-HATTON; d. Bef. 1945; m. (2) DAVID JACKSON, 28 December 1893; b. 16 November 1855; d. 27 July 1903, Yokohama, Japan.
Notes for MARGARET LOUISA WRIGHT:
Her death Certificate says she died of "Pulmonary Oedema due to Intersticial Myocarditis" and secondarily of " Coronary Thrombosis". M. Dillon was present at death.
More About MARGARET LOUISA WRIGHT: See WRIGHT and/or JACKSON family trees for more detail.
Notes for DAVID JACKSON: See JACKSON family tree for more detail.
More About DAVID JACKSON and MARGARET WRIGHT: Marriage: 28 December 1893
31. iv. MARTHA WRIGHT, b. 30 October 1870, Monaghan, County Monaghan, Ireland; d. Bef. 1937, Killykeera, Smithborough, County Monaghan.
v. JOHN STEVENSON REED WRIGHT27,28, b. 16 September 1877, Ballinode, CO. Monaghan29; d. 1941; m. NELLIE RICKETT; b. 1879; d. 1956.
Notes for JOHN STEVENSON REED WRIGHT:
Imperial Bank of Persia, Bushire. The records at HSBC for the Imperial Bank of Persia show him to have an uneven career with many problems with personal debt.
vi. WILLIAM JOSEPH WRIGHT30, b. 1872; d. 1933.
Notes for WILLIAM JOSEPH WRIGHT:
32. vii. JAMES FRANCIS WRIGHT, b. 17 November 1874; d. 22 April 1954, The Castle, Gilford.
26. GEORGE6 MIDDLEMISS (JANE5 COULTER, GEORGE BARTLEY4, JANE3 BARTLEY, HUGH2, GEORGE1)31 was born June 1883 in Michigan. He married BLANCHE31 1918. She was born in Michigan.
Notes for GEORGE MIDDLEMISS:
The Flint City, Michigan USA census data - thanks to the diligence of Wendy Jack - shows him to be 46 years old in 1930 and to have been 34 at age of marriage. This would give a marriage date of 1918.
Notes for BLANCHE:
The Flint City, Michigan USA census data - thanks to the diligence of Wendy Jack - shows Blanche to be 32 years old at the time of the census in 1930, hence born in 1898 and to have been 20 at age of marriage which agrees with his marriage date of 1918.
More About GEORGE MIDDLEMISS and BLANCHE:
Child of GEORGE MIDDLEMISS and BLANCHE is:
i. BURDETTE7 MIDDLEMISS31, b. 1929, Michigan.
Notes for BURDETTE MIDDLEMISS:
I have based his birth date on the 1930 Census of Flint City Michigan, USA.
27. JOHN HANNA6 MCKEAN (WILLIAM5, MARY ANNE JANE4 BARTLEY, GEORGE3, HUGH2, GEORGE1)32 died 6 September 1920 in Redlands, Deramore Park, Belfast. He married HELEN LOUISE MCKEAN June 1903, daughter of JAMES MCKEAN and HELEN TYNDALE.
Notes for JOHN HANNA MCKEAN:
PRONI 991/7 Bartley, Thompson, McKean, Gardiner & Jackson papers. MARRIAGE: 1903, June 3 at St. Peters, Laragh, County Monaghan - J.H. McKean (linen merchant in Belfast) son of Wm. McKean, Montano, Malone Park, Belfast m. Helen McKean daughter of James McKean, JP Laragh House, Castleblayney. BIRTH: May 21 at Montano, Malone Park, Belfast a daughter of JH & Helen McKean
DEATH: 1920, Sept 6 d. J.H. McKean, son of Wm. McKean of Montano, d. at home, Redlands, Deramore Park, Belfast.
Notes for HELEN LOUISE MCKEAN:
PRONI D/991/6/1/2 "Of Laragh"
More About JOHN MCKEAN and HELEN MCKEAN: Marriage: June 1903
Children of JOHN MCKEAN and HELEN MCKEAN are:
i. LYDIA7 MCKEAN.
ii. HELEN JOY MCKEAN, b. 1907.
Generation No. 7
28. EVA OLIVER7 REED (ROBERT HAMILTON6, THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 19 November 1876, and died September 1968. She married JAMES USSHER 15 June 190433. He was born 1875, and died 1947.
More About EVA OLIVER REED:
Burial: Old Cemetery, Banger34
More About JAMES USSHER:
Burial: Old Cemetery, Banger34
More About JAMES USSHER and EVA REED:
Marriage: 15 June 190435
Children of EVA REED and JAMES USSHER are:
i. MARJORIE ELEANOR8 USSHER, b. 3 April 1905; d. 16 July 198536.
Notes for MARJORIE ELEANOR USSHER:
Wendy Jack's records give a birth date of April 8, 1904.
A Srcap of paper at Gika Jackson's gave a death date of 23rd July 1985. Died at Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford. Cremated Leming [?]
ii. FLORENCE MAUD USSHER, b. 21 July 19063738.
iii. ERNA DOROTHY USSHER, b. 4 February 190839; d. 199340.
33. iv. JAMES NEVILLE BUTLER USSHER, b. 23 February 1916.
29. ROBERT THOMAS7 WRIGHT (SARAH JANE6 REED, THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 25 November 1864 in Monaghan, Monaghan, Ireland41, and died 24 June 1937 in Barton End, Alton, Hants, UK. He married LUCY DANBY. She was born 1875, and died 22 October 1938 in Barton End, Alton, Hants, England.
Notes for ROBERT THOMAS WRIGHT: See WRIGHT family tree for more detail.
Children of ROBERT WRIGHT and LUCY DANBY are:
34. i. L. MARGARET8 WRIGHT, d. 24 June 1970, St. Peter's Church, Frimley, Surrey.
ii. CAPTAIN ROBERT F. WRIGHT, m. E. MARJORIE SINTON, 20 November 1928, St. John's Cathedral, Hong Kong.
Notes for CAPTAIN ROBERT F. WRIGHT: See WRIGHT family Tree for more detail
More About ROBERT WRIGHT and E. SINTON:
Marriage: 20 November 1928, St. John's Cathedral, Hong Kong
30. MARY ANNE7 WRIGHT (SARAH JANE6 REED, THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 18 August 1866 in Monaghan, Monaghan, Ireland41. She married UNNAMED JOHNSTON.
Notes for MARY ANNE WRIGHT:
This is probably the Annie Wright who married an unknown Johnston (mentioned in a letter).
in 1902 she lived at 77 Kansas Avenue, Belfast. SOURCE 1937 Affidavit.
Child of MARY WRIGHT and UNNAMED JOHNSTON is:
i. T8 JOHNSTON.
Notes for T JOHNSTON:
Source: R.T. Wright funeral news clipping T. Johnston newphew
31. MARTHA7 WRIGHT (SARAH JANE6 REED, THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1)42 was born 30 October 1870 in Monaghan, County Monaghan, Ireland, and died Bef. 1937 in Killykeera, Smithborough, County Monaghan. She married THOMPSON BROWN, son of THOMPSON BROWN and ELIZABETH JACKSON. He was born 21 August 186843, and died 28 August 1942 in Killynure House, Armagh44.
Notes for MARTHA WRIGHT: SEE WRIGHT and/or BROWN family tree for more detail
Child of MARTHA WRIGHT and THOMPSON BROWN is:
i. GEORGE AUSTIN THOMPSON8 BROWN, b. Abt. 1902; d. 26 August 1963, Stanhope, Victoria, Australia45.
Notes for GEORGE AUSTIN THOMPSON BROWN:
He was a farmer in Stanhope, Victoria, Australia. He died in 1963 leaving no will.
More About GEORGE AUSTIN THOMPSON BROWN:
Will: Left no will
32. JAMES FRANCIS7 WRIGHT (SARAH JANE6 REED, THOMAS HAMILTON5, HAMILTON4, ESTHER3 BARTLEY, ROBERT2, GEORGE1) was born 17 November 187446, and died 22 April 1954 in The Castle, Gilford47. He married MARY MENARY 2 April 1902 in Cathedral Church, Victoria, Hong Kong, daughter of WILLIAM MENARY and MARY JACKSON. She was born 5 November 1872 in Maghery, Co. Armagh48, and died 29 August 1946.
Notes for JAMES FRANCIS WRIGHT: SEE WRIGHT family tree for more detail.
Notes for MARY MENARY:
1906 letter from Mary Griffin to Sarah Whiteside: "I am in a little anxiety about Mollie and her care just now as there has been a terrible typhoon in Hong Kong and loss of life and I am sure she has been well frightened if not hurt"
More About JAMES WRIGHT and MARY MENARY:
Marriage: 2 April 1902, Cathedral Church, Victoria, Hong Kong
Child of JAMES WRIGHT and MARY MENARY is:
35. i. JAMES FRANCIS8 WRIGHT, b. 30 December 1902, Hong Kong; d. 1979.
1. PRONI/991/6/1/9, This document is a copy done by William McKean of a paper done by his wife Mary Anne Jane (nee Bartley) based on the probate of a Will taken out in 30 Dec 1752 of George Bartley of Lossitt who married Margaret Orr.
2. Full Circle, p.330, 10 years older than George, born 1806.
3. Full Circle, 331.
4. The Heart of Downe, 45, The Heart of DowneOld Banbridge Families from Gravestone Inscriptions, Wills and Biographical NotesEdited by R.S.J. ClarkeGravestone Inscriptions County Down Volume 20(Ulster Historical Foundation Publications, Belfast, 1989) Gilnahirk Presbyterian Graveyard.
5. Full Circle, 330.
6. PRONI/991/6/1/9, A family tree donated by Miss Gillian Dunlop, 45 Windsor Avenue, Belfast.
7. At the Ford of the Birches, 194.
8. The Heart of Downe.
9. Wendy Jack Research McCullagh Family.
10. The Heart of Downe.
11. Wendy Jack Research McCullagh Family.
12. The Heart of Downe.
13. Wendy Jack Research McCullagh Family.
14. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
15. Birthday book of Jeannie Moorhead.
16. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
17. Birthday book of Jeannie Moorhead.
18. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
19. Affidavit of Robert T Wright 30 April 1937.
20. Wright of Yorkshire and Monaghan.
21. Affidavit of Robert T Wright 30 April 1937.
22. Wright of Yorkshire and Monaghan.
23. Affidavit of Robert T Wright 30 April 1937.
24. LDS British Vital Records Index.
25. Death Certificate copy in my possession.
26. Birthday book of Jeannie Moorhead.
27. Wright of Yorkshire and Monaghan, This is a family page shared with me by Christine Wright on October 8, 2003.
28. Affidavit of Robert T Wright 30 April 1937.
29. HSBC staff records, 75.
30. Affidavit of Robert T Wright 30 April 1937.
31. Wendy Jack Research McCullagh Family.
33. McCullagh Bible at Gika Jackson's.
34. Gika Jackson notes.
35. McCullagh Bible at Gika Jackson's.
36. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
37. Gika Jackson notes.
38. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
39. Gika Jackson notes.
40. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
41. IGI v. 5..
42. LDS British Vital Records Index.
43. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families.
44. Newsclipping from McCready.
45. Wendy Jack Website Jack/McCullagh families, Title Indexes to DeathsPublication: Registry of Births. Deaths and Marriages, Victoria, AustraliaNote No 19542/1963Probate Index, Victoria. 1841-1992Publication: Macbeth Genealogical Books, Melbourne 1992Note: Series 601, No. 634.
46. Passport 1926.
47. Death Certificate 1954.
48. Baptism Certificate.
49. Gika Jackson notes.
50. Gika Jackson papers.
51. Gika Jackson notes.
52. Times BDM.
53. Gravemarker at Creggan Church, Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh.
Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright
© 2006-2011 Sharon Oddie Brown