Home Biographies History Places Documents Letters Family Tree Misc. Contact NEW Blog


NAMES: James TIPPING and his mill at Ballsmill.
Sharon Oddie Brown. February 10, 2013

1841 September 11

Newry Telegraph - Original clipping thanks to Keiran McConville.



Corn mill and farm.


 For such term as may be agreed on.

The mill of Balls Mill[1], together with the farm adjoining, situate 4 miles from Dundalk on the road to Armagh. The Works of the MILL which were intended to prepare grain for the English market, are all modern, and of the best description, it contains three pair of STONES, there are also two large cones attached.

The FARM, about 30 statute acres, is of excellent quality and has a sufficiency of building thereon to accommodate the necessary Workmen both for it and the mill.

The above will be LET either together or separately.

Proposals in writing will be received by JAMES TIPPING[2], Esq.

Lisnawilly, Dundalk, August 1, 1841.




[1] Ballsmill. This is a nice description of the mill. Balls Mill is just south of the R177, about 7km north-west of Dundalk. It is also just slightly north of a clutch of townlands where many of the COULTERs were known to reside (Cavananore, Shortstone, Annaghavackey and so on). It is on Ballsmill Road (on some maps – otherwise Glassdrumman Rd on other maps) and is in the Parish of Glassdrumman  SEE: http://www.devlin-family.com/timelineglassdrummond.htm 

Ballsmill (Baile na gCléireach) Armagh. Ballinaglera 1838. ‘Ball's mill’. Thomas Ball was granted land here in the 17th cent. The Irish name means ‘townland of the clerics’. SOURCE: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O40-Ballsmill.html

[2] James TIPPING. This is probably the James TIPPING (1804-1884), originally of Lisnailly, who emigrated to New Zealand and died there.



Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright

© 2006-2023 Sharon Oddie Brown