Descendants of William Johnston
Generation No. 1
1. LIEUT WILLIAM2 JOHNSTON (RICHARD1)1. He married SUSANNA MAGILL2, daughter of JOHN MAGILL.
Children of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and SUSANNA MAGILL are:
i. JOHN3 MAGILL3,4.
2. ii. MARY JOHNSTON.
3. iii. SUSANNA JOHNSTON.
Generation No. 2
2. MARY3 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)5. She married ROBERT HAWKINS6,7.
Child of MARY JOHNSTON and ROBERT HAWKINS is:
4. i. JOHN HAWKINS4 MAGILL.
3. SUSANNA3 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)8. She married RICHARD JOHNSTON9, son of CAPT. DAVID JOHNSTON.
Child of SUSANNA JOHNSTON and RICHARD JOHNSTON is:
5. i. SIR WILLIAM4 JOHNSTON, b. 06 Mar 1710; d. 22 Sep 1722.
Generation No. 3
4. JOHN HAWKINS4 MAGILL (MARY3 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)10.
Child of JOHN HAWKINS MAGILL is:
6. i. ROBERT HAWKINS5 MAGILL.
5. SIR WILLIAM4 JOHNSTON (SUSANNA3, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)11,12 was born 06 Mar 1710, and died 22 Sep 1722. He married NICHOLA ANNE ACHESON.
Child of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and NICHOLA ACHESON is:
7. i. RICHARD5 JOHNSTON, d. 11 Feb 1758.
Generation No. 4
6. ROBERT HAWKINS5 MAGILL (JOHN HAWKINS4, MARY3 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)13,14.
Child of ROBERT HAWKINS MAGILL is:
8. i. THEODOSIA6 MAGILL.
7. RICHARD5 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM4, SUSANNA3, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)15,16 died 11 Feb 1758. He married CATHERINE GILL 1737.
Child of RICHARD JOHNSTON and CATHERINE GILL is:
9. i. SIR RICHARD6 JOHNSTON, b. 01 Aug 1743; d. 22 Apr 1795.
Generation No. 5
8. THEODOSIA6 MAGILL (ROBERT HAWKINS5, JOHN HAWKINS4, MARY3 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)17,18. She married SIR JOHN MEADE19.
Child of THEODOSIA MAGILL and JOHN MEADE is:
10. i. SIR RICHARD7 MEADE.
9. SIR RICHARD6 JOHNSTON (RICHARD5, WILLIAM4, SUSANNA3, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)20,21 was born 01 Aug 1743, and died 22 Apr 1795. He married ANNE ALEXANDER.
Children of RICHARD JOHNSTON and ANNE ALEXANDER are:
i. WILLIAM7 JOHNSTON22,23, b. 1765; d. 1841.
11. ii. MARY ANNE JOHNSTON.
iii. CATHERINE JOHNSTON.
Generation No. 6
10. SIR RICHARD7 MEADE (THEODOSIA6 MAGILL, ROBERT HAWKINS5, JOHN HAWKINS4, MARY3 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)24.
Child of SIR RICHARD MEADE is:
12. i. RICHARD8 MEADE.
11. MARY ANNE7 JOHNSTON (RICHARD6, RICHARD5, WILLIAM4, SUSANNA3, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1) She married JOHN HENRY BURGESS25.
Child of MARY JOHNSTON and JOHN BURGESS is:
i. JOHN YNYR8 BURGESS26.
Generation No. 7
12. RICHARD8 MEADE (RICHARD7, THEODOSIA6 MAGILL, ROBERT HAWKINS5, JOHN HAWKINS4, MARY3 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM2, RICHARD1)27.
Child of RICHARD MEADE is:
i. RICHARD JAMES9 MEADE28.
1. Gilford tree, Came to Ireland. Of Gillhall & Gillford, Co. Down.
2. Gilford tree, Sole Heir.
3. Gilford tree, Sir John Magill, Bart ob 1701 o.s.p. Buried at Dromore (assumed the name of Magill).
4. Ros Davies web site, regiment Troop of Horse; granted lands in Dromore after 1641 Rebellion; built Gill Hall c. 1670; later knighted.
5. Gilford tree, (Gillhall Estate).
6. Gilford tree, Esq. of Rathfriland Manor.
7. Ros Davies web site, John HAWKINS: son of William Hawkins; held 14 townlands in these parishes from the Magennis & O'Roneys in 1681; pulled down castle in Rathfriland & built manor house in Lessize; married Mary Johnston of Gilford &inherited Gilford Estate; died 1689 & buried Drumballyroney; great grandfather\ of Theodosia Hawkins Magill (NOTE: The Gilford tree gives the first name of "Robert" but Ros Davies Site has a first name of "John". I have no corroborating evidence either way)Richard HAWKINS - likely an ancestor was an Alderman of London; granted Hugh Magennis' castle & estate in Rathfriland by King Charles 2nd c. 1660; he demolished the castle & used the stone to built an inn & housesWilliam HAWKINS - again a likely ancestor - of London; first Protestant possessor of Castle Hill in 1641, former ancient Magennis seat, where Rathfriland stands today; he destroyed the castle & laid out the town plans in 1668; was granted many Magennis lands in Newry, Drumgath, Kilbroney, Clonduff & Clonallan areas; father of John Hawkins.
8. Gilford tree, Gilford Estate (bured at Glasslough).
9. Gilford tree, Esq. of Emy, Co. Monaghan (buried at Glasslough).
10. Gilford tree, (of Gillhall) Assumed the name of Magill.
11. Gilford tree, Kt. ob. 1722 Lived at Gillford. Buried Tullylish.
12. Ros Davies web site, built old castle at Gilford; husband of Nichola Anne Acheson; father of Richard b. 6 Mar 1710; d. 22 Sep 1722 & buried old church Tullylish.
13. Gilford tree, ob 1745 (of Gillhall) Esq.
14. Ros Davies web site, with John Magill, built Church of Ireland church in Rathfriland in 1730s.
15. Gilford tree, of Gillford ob 1758 Esq.
16. Ros Davies web site, of Gilford; b. 6 Mar 1710, son of Sir William & Nichola Johnston of Gilford Castle; erected Tullylish meeting house; married Catherine Gill in 1737; father of Nicholina & Richard b. 1743 & ; d. 11 Feb 1758 (NOTE 1743 is too long after his father's death so I take it to be incorrect.).
17. Gilford tree, sole heir.
18. Ros Davies web site, lived mainly in Norfolk UK but had a house at Burrenwood near Castlewellan; great grand daughter of Sir James Hawkins; married Sir John Meade, Earl of Clanwilliam c. 1680 (NOTE This date is about 100 years too early)Financed the building of Rathfriland's Market House c. 1760; became the Countess of Clanwilliam.
19. Gilford tree, 1st Earl of Clanwilliam ob 1800.
20. Gilford tree, Bart. of Gillford.
21. Ros Davies web site, of Gilford Castle; b. 1 Aug 1743; husband of Anne Alexander; father of William b. 1765 & Marianne b. 1770; 1772 erected monument to his friend Rev Samuel Morelle, attacked by Hearts of Oak & Steel; offered reward of £20 for arrest of Father Francis Polin 3 Mar 1770; partition to parliament; member of parliament 1776;church warden of parish church 1792 ; d. 22 Apr 1795.
22. Gilford tree, Bt. o.s.p. 1841.
23. Ros Davies web site, of Gilford Castle; b. 1765; son of Sir Richard Johnston & Anne Alexander; proprietor of Drummarron in 1836; d. 1841.
24. Gilford tree, 2nd Earl of Clanwilliam ob. 1805.
25. Gilford tree, Esq.
26. Gilford tree, of Parkinour.
27. Gilford tree, 3rd Earl of Clanwilliam.
28. Gilford tree, 4th Earl of Clanwilliam.
Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright
© 2006-2023 Sharon Oddie Brown